Our team recently helped these homeowners create their dream kitchen! Located in the Highland Park neighborhood of St. Paul, the original kitchen stood out with red and white checkerboard floors, red countertops, and dated oak cabinets. The layout also needed some work, thanks to a clunky peninsula that disrupted the flow of the kitchen. But the homeowners love living in the Highland Park area and plan to stay there for a while. With that in mind, they knew they needed to make major changes — and we were happy to help!
The clients’ vision for their kitchen remodel centered around an island painted in Farrow & Ball’s Green Smoke. They also wanted to freshen up the main level’s powder bathroom. All in all, the goals for this project included:
- Improving the layout and flow of the kitchen
- Sanding the existing oak flooring and staining it to match the new flooring in the kitchen, back entry, and powder room
- Installing a spacious painted island
- Upgrading cabinetry and adding functional storage
- Installing new windows
- Updating the 1/2 bathroom
With a plan in place, we got to work. Unfortunately, remodels of this age always present challenges. Cold air returns in exterior walls meant wiring had to be routed around these areas. The existing framing also didn’t allow us to run the new 6-inch hood venting in the area we had planned. So, we had to get creative with a new route. The diagonal boards that make up the subfloor were rotten in one place and barely held up the floor in other areas, so they needed to be replaced. The plan for a recessed medicine cabinet in the bathroom meant that the upper-level plumbing pipes had to be diverted elsewhere.
Challenges aside, this completed remodel is one for the books! The newly remodeled kitchen is just as beautiful as it is functional. Some of our favorite features include:
- A stunning 7-foot kitchen island in Green Smoke
- White-painted cabinets along the perimeter
- A large pantry cabinet flanked by built-in shelving
- Cambria quartz countertops
- Modern gray subway tile backsplash
- New Marvin windows
- Updated appliances throughout
- Beautiful stained oak flooring
- New light fixtures, recessed lights, and undercabinet lighting
Want a closer look at this gorgeous kitchen remodel? Scroll below for a peek at the completed project! If you’re thinking about remodeling your home, contact our team. We’d love to help you create your dream home!